An Email from My Colleague
March 10, 2009 Leave a comment
Due to no clinical pharmacy education and service particularly for Obgyn ward setting in Indonesia, at least not in our hospital (RSSA) as yet, I contacted my colleagues in UK & USA for suggestions how to start clinical pharmacy service. Fortunately, they have kindly agreed to advice me about potential pharmacy services in Obgyn.
Here I am glad to share an email from Dr Mary W Roederer, a pharmacist in the USA who concerns for women’s health.
To start, she has a few ideas, with a focus on the OB side:
• Medications in pregnancy and lactation. Breastfeeding is more common in Indonesia. Provide a safety net to verify the medications are safe and counseling when requested or “needed.”
• Use of antibiotics for Group B strep prophylaxis at delivery
• Use of antibiotics peri-surgically (for c-sections)
• Appropriateness of other antibiotics matched to the presumed infection (ex. Endometritis/chorioamniitis)
• Treatment of DVT/PE peri-partum
• Medications for the treatment of hyperemesis gravidarum
Further mentor, you can contact her on : email@example.com
Hope this information would be very useful for us who are developing pharmacy service in Obgyn ward.